The cardinal rule of makeup is not to get taken in by the loads of recommendations and advertisements of from cosmetic manufacturers. Search online or walk into a retail store and you will be spoilt for choice, rows and rows of brightly coloured bottles of creams and lotions promising heightened skin care. The question is, do you really need all that stuff? The trick is to keep it simple – toner, moisturiser, a basic cleanser and a broad-spectrum sunscreen. Other than these, most formulations overlap each other. Eye creams for example are almost the same as your moisturiser.
To know how using natural beauty products can improve your skin health, it is first necessary to know how the traditional cosmetics normally used is actually harmful for you.
- Most skin care and beauty products have mineral oils that are not extracted directly from plants but synthetic in nature. Further, most cosmetics use petroleum based gels and other inorganic compounds. All these instead of exfoliating the skin clogs up the pores leading to signs of ageing and acne.
- Most cosmetics are made from ingredients that are toxic in nature and contain harmful chemicals. These include dangerous parabens, synthetic colours from coal tar sources or petroleum. The enchanting fragrance that you so love contain phthalates that can cause allergic reactions and other health problems.
All these are indicators that the shampoo or moisture that you use in the belief that it is doing wonders for your hair and skin is actually detrimental to them.
The focus today is on using natural and environmentally safe products that do not contain toxins and harsh and abrasive chemicals. Before buying cosmetics, verify if the company has values that are good for the environment. Are they against animal testing, have they vowed to remove chemicals from their products and are they for a clean pollution free planet? The world today is moving against deforestation and efforts are on to take measures to reduce carbon footprints and the resultant global warming. Measures have been initiated in almost all countries. For example if Daryl’s Tree Care, leading arborists has to take up Melbourne tree pruning or tree and stump removal, necessary permission has to be first obtained from regulatory bodies in Victoria, Australia.
Here are some natural remedies for a young and beautiful skin –
- Chilled tea bags for tired eyes – Put 2 tea bags of green, black or chamomile tea in hot water for about a minute. Take out and chill in the refrigerator. Put a bag on each eye and leave for 5 to 15 minutes. It is an excellent substitute for sagging skin around the eyes.
- Brighter lips – Heat one tablespoon of coconut oil. Remove from heat and add 4 red raspberries. Put in a blender and make a smooth paste. Refrigerate in a glass bottle till it takes the consistency of cream. Apply on lips with a lip gloss brush or clean fingers for brighter lips.
- Anti inflammation treatment with tea tree oil – Tea tree oil has been traditionally used in Australia as a treatment against redness, rashes, breakouts and inflammation of skin. It has to be applied directly on the skin. The oil has anti-bacterial, antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties and is one of the most versatile natural oils for skin care.
Apart from these, you can make many other homemade concoctions that are good for your skin. Remember, maintaining healthy habits like a salt-free fat-free diet and sound sleep are equally important for a healthy and young skin.